Warm summer nights just beckon my husband and I out on dates. We don’t have the opportunity to get away often, but when we do, we try to do something new and fun. Occasionally we’ll splurge for a big night out, or we’ll get creative on a fun, but inexpensive date. And these don’t have to be for date night, date afternoons and date mornings are fun, too!
Here are some super fun date ideas around Knoxville!
1. Second Saturday Concerts – The next concert is scheduled for July 13th at The Cove at Concord Park and features Kitty Wampus. Pack a blanket and a picnic to enjoy while listening to the concert. FREE.
2. First Friday — The first Friday evening of every month welcomes thousands of Knoxvillians to Market Square and the surrounding downtown art district. Browse galleries. Eat a yummy dinner at one of the downtown restaurants. Shop. Have a ball. FREE.
3. Bike Ride — Knoxville has a pretty fantastic system of greenways (as does Maryville/Alcoa). Try an evening bike ride for romance. One idea is to park at the greenway by Earthfare in Bearden. Ride your bike downtown to eat dinner or make a loop and eat in Bearden. FREE.
4. Shakespeare on the Square — Begins July 11th on Market Square. Get fancy with $15 VIP seating or just donate $10 for the actors as they pass the basket during the performance. This season will be featuring Twelfth Night and Richard III.
5. Stand Up Paddleboarding and Kayaking — River Sports Outfitters host a SUP social on Monday and Wednesday nights at The Cove at Concord Park from 6-8 p.m. The cost is $15 and includes paddleboard, PFD, and paddle rental. On Tuesday nights from 6-8 p.m. and Saturday mornings from 9-11 a.m., rent a kayak, PFD, and paddle for $15.
6. Ijams Nature Center — Enjoy the great outdoors together! Hike, take a class, or make plans to attend their upcoming Meadow Lark Music Festival on June 29th. Tickets are $10 in advance or $20 at the door.
7. WDVX Blue Plate Special — Meet for lunch downtown, Monday-Saturday at noon at the Knoxville Visitors Center for a little music and lunch. FREE
8. Putt-Putt Golf – Enjoy a round of golf, hit some balls in the batting cage, snack on some ice cream on your date! Games are just $7 each, while 20 pitches in the batting cages is just $1.50.
9. Fireball Classic 5K — A night race beginning at 9 p.m. on July 3rd, this 5K takes place along Neyland Drive. Celebrate your achievements afterwards at the post-race party or head to your favorite spot to grab some food!
10. Driving Range — One of the most fun dates my husband and I ever had was our date to the driving range. I had never golfed before and was not the best golfer, but we laughed and laughed that afternoon. There are lots of driving ranges around town, click here to find a list.
12. Willy’s Bar & Grill — This fun restaurant is located right on Ft. Loudon Lake and offers outdoor seating and live music. They’re located at 2600 Whitten Lane or you can come by boat!
13. Peter Kern Library — If you enjoy fancy cocktails, the Peter Kern Library, located in the Oliver Hotel in downtown Knoxville, is a place you MUST try! This bar, modeled after a speakeasy from the 20′s, has menus in old encyclopedias, filled with unique concoctions.
14. Tennessee Theatre — The Historic Tennessee Theatre has an ever-changing line-up of events from comedy shows to Broadway shows. They have several upcoming movies they’ll be showing including On Golden Pond, Rear Window, and The Godfather Part II. On one Monday per month, they even offer a FREE show at 10 a.m. Boxed lunches are available during these Mighty Musical Monday performances.
15. Knoxville Food Tours — Splurge on a fancy afternoon out while taking a guided culinary tour around the downtown area. Tours take place on Saturdays and Sundays around 2 p.m. Each tour is different and features local, small eateries. Tickets are $59 per person.
Don’t forget about our “Hours In” Feature where we’ve been to downtown Knoxville and downtown Loudon and found some awesome things to do!
What is your favorite date night activity? Let us know and we may add it to our list!